Suitable large capacity Hard Drives that WORK with RaQ/Qube

Got a question about the general hardware that makes up a Cobalt RaQ or QUBE? Ask it here !

Moderator: LiamM

Postby TimSB on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 am

ludwig wrote:Hi Plasticuser,

Thanks for your reply. I think that the drive is ATA100 - if you read my post - you'll see ATA100 (I copied and pasted the disc description from their website).

Other posts on this forum led me to believe that I can install larger disc drives, but that the RAQ will only see 137 GB. As the price difference between 120 GB & 160 GB here is less than 2 Euro (about 2.50 dollar?) I would prefer to have the extra space.

What I don't want to do is order a drive which then doesn't work. I already have more than enough storage on other machines here.

Ludwig

Hi Ludwig,

I cannot recall 160Gb drives being available BEFORE the ATA-133 standard was introduced. Indeed, I think I have a Seagate 40Gb HDD that is ATA-133 - I had to use the Seagate Tools utility to switch the interface down to ATA-100 so it would work with the IDE controller I had back then (this was on a PC, not a RaQ!)..

So, the issue is: If the WD drive you mention is able to work as a ATA-100 drive, then you'll be OK. Or if it auto-senses, the ATA-100 interface, then you'll be OK.

This of course is true, whether it's a 120Gb or a 160Gb drive...!

Either way, please let us know if it works as there's nothing better than ACTUAL proof that something works OK - even if you have to be the guinea pig....!

regards

Tim
Any advice I may give is given in good faith but may be incorrect so listen to what other people have to say as well and don't blame me when it all goes tits up.
TimSB
Forum Admin

Postby plasticuser on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:43 pm

One trick here:

If you have a drive which supports LBA28 and LBA48, it knows if it is on a 40 or 80-conductor cable, and some makes use this info to establish how to set up the interface. Don't replace your 40-pin cables with 80-pin cables.

If the drive's connector has a missing pin, it is *always* LBA48 and ATA100/133.
plasticuser
Mega Forum member

Postby TimSB on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:20 am

plasticuser wrote:One trick here:

If you have a drive which supports LBA28 and LBA48, it knows if it is on a 40 or 80-conductor cable, and some makes use this info to establish how to set up the interface. Don't replace your 40-pin cables with 80-pin cables.

If the drive's connector has a missing pin, it is *always* LBA48 and ATA100/133.

Hi,

I guess most wouldn't change the drive cable anyways, but the missing pin info...

Now that REALLY is useful - BUT can you check this posting as well....

here

coz quite a few HDD drive seem to have one pin missing...but these can't all be LBA48, can they?

regards

Tim
Any advice I may give is given in good faith but may be incorrect so listen to what other people have to say as well and don't blame me when it all goes tits up.
TimSB
Forum Admin

Postby plasticuser on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 pm

I got this info from a WD white paper, and the industry follows it. I have checked and some drives made after the standard was introduced received the 39 pin connectors when 40 pin connectors were supply-constrained.
plasticuser
Mega Forum member

Postby Davesworld on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:30 pm

Are we talking raq's in general? I can only speak for the XTR with the 850mhz PIII and it's drive ruler. I have Hitachi HDS725050KLAT80 and HDT725050KLAT80 drives working just fine on the HPT370 chipped ruler. I am using XFS for a raid5 volume with three drives and running the os itself on a single old 30GB that came with it. I see a lot of confusion here about how to set these drives up. If you are using an 80 pin cable, master and slave are automatic by the connector itself, while setting them at master may not hurt, keep in mind that many manufacturers reject returned drives if they are set to anything but cable select. Likely they assume that you probably ran it in master on the grey connector (second from the end) or slave on the black connector at the end itself. The stock drives on my XTR came set as cable select also since the drive trays have 80 pin ribbons. Master and Slave are for 40 pin ribbons.
Davesworld
Forum member

Postby Der.Cio on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 am

TimSB wrote:Also: be aware that there is a hardware solution currently being worked on, to allow use of any size SATA drives, instead of IDE. But you must have a PCI slot (for the specially commissioned SATA card !).

Hello TimSB,

is this project still under development?
Any progresses?

I need some new HDD's and don't want to waste my money on the
old P-ATA interface...
if there is a chance for the S-ATA interface i want to
go this way... :)

Regards,
Der.Cio
Der.Cio
Forum member

Postby TimSB on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Der.Cio wrote:Hello TimSB,

is this project still under development?
Any progresses?

I need some new HDD's and don't want to waste my money on the
old P-ATA interface...
if there is a chance for the S-ATA interface i want to
go this way... :)

Regards,
Der.Cio

AFAIK, there was an issue with an undocumented component change on the RaQ mobo, which meant that a single SATA board might not have been possible....

I believe efforts are continuing but using a different chip set, which might mean the issue can be resolved.

The person working on this is "plasticuser"....so it might be an idea to PM him and see if he can give you any idea as to what can be done and the timescales.

Obviously, if it IS possible, then that would help enormously.

regards

Tim
TimSB
Forum Admin

Postby plasticuser on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:30 am

Hi

I did start some work with a different chipset, but it was just too expensive. I stopped work shortly after that. A colleague took it up and did some more work, but the problem persisted.

The cards would be so specialized as to be not economic to make. It would cost about the same to design/built an entire replacement motherboard with much better specs.

So, no go. :(
plasticuser
Mega Forum member

Postby TimSB on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:22 am

plasticuser wrote:.....
The cards would be so specialized as to be not economic to make. It would cost about the same to design/built an entire replacement motherboard with much better specs.

Hi David,

This then leads to the question: Is it viable to design a drop-in REPLACEMENT mobo, that would enable RaQ's to have the old mobo removed and replaced with something newer / faster / better ??

Maybe something based on a mini-ITX even ??

OK, so this is clutching at straws a little bit, but this is as good a place as any to start giving RaQ users some idea of the "lifetime" of the products, both in terms of hardware and software.

And if certain items, such as HDD's are the limiting factor (as pretty soon brand new IDE HDD's of less than 137GB will be pretty rare), then long term, people need to be thinking about what options they have to do to update and/or replace their servers.

regards,

Tim
TimSB
Forum Admin

Postby Der.Cio on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:40 pm

plasticuser wrote:Hi

I did start some work with a different chipset, but it was just too expensive. I stopped work shortly after that. A colleague took it up and did some more work, but the problem persisted.

So, no go. :(

Oh thats sad... :(
but... isn`t it only a problem with RaQ's?
I have 3 QUBE3 now and want to gave them a 'lil bit more space.
So... is the SATA Card maybe ready to go for QUBES? :)

Regards,
Der.Cio
Der.Cio
Forum member

Postby maxxnet on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 am

i mentioned that motherboard replacement idea years ago on one of the cobalt mailing lists, and back then it seemed it would simply become to expensive. i don't know how many boards you'd have to manufacture to get a retail price around 150 USD per unit. but it would certainly be cool as hell to have a cobalt-blue dualcore 1u-unit ;).
maxxnet
Forum member

Postby plasticuser on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 am

Designing a small RISC board based on an ARM processor would be too expensive.

Designing an Intel or AMD board wit the complex power supplies, ground planes and interesting busses used these days... It would be cheaper to buy off-the-shelf parts and fit them inside the case.

The big deals with cobalt cases is two-fold: they are visually informative and they are pretty. It would be more sensible to design a RAQ-style case for commodity hardware than to design bespoke hardware for an antique case. (By the time the design was finished and tested, it would be antique.)
plasticuser
Mega Forum member

Re: Suitable large capacity Hard Drives that WORK with RaQ/Qube

Postby sunshack on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

At the moment I'm repairing/restoring a Raq4 which is intended to go into a co-location facility therefore it must be reliable and the choice of HDD is important.

The only spare HDD I have at present is an 80 GB Seagate 7200.10 series drive which does not work.

So I'm currently looking around and while I can locate plenty of ATA-133 drives, finding ones that are ATA-100 is proving 'challenging'. 8-)

I have good success using Samsung Spinpoint 160 GB drives in Panasonic 'Toughbook' systems and figure they are a good choice in 3.5" form-factor to use with Raq4 systems.

A drive like the 120 GB Samsun spinpoint SV1203N seems like a good target to try out. It's a 5400 rpm unit (so quieter and less power-hungry than a 7200 rpm drive), but it's showing up as ATA-133. If anyone has uses this drive, what are they like when used singly (or in pairs for a RAID setup)?

Craig.
sunshack
Forum member

Previous

Return to Hardware issues